Skip to main content

Book Reading Project



Book Reading Project

Last week, I had this book hunting with Noe. After reading books from Andrea Hirata, I started to look for some other great books. Noe and I got addicted. As usual, the search was conducted in one of the biggest book store in Bandung. But since we planned to buy not just one book and financial was a bit of a problem, we decided to buy those books elsewhere in the place where we can get big discount.

So on 25th of December, we went to the famous book spot in Bandung where we can get big discount. The books we bought, 40 Days in Europe, The Kite Runner, Laut dan Kupu-Kupu the last one is Dong mu. Each of us bought two books and the we would exchange them once we finished reading them.
But before that I read Princess. The book was a gift from my students, Yusuf, for my birthday.

When I read Princess, I was so amazed not by the act of the men but by the amount of wealth they have. Wow! Their wealth is so unspeakable. My mind wonders straightly to school. If I were entrusted with that amount of money, I was thinking about tons of books, traveling and school.

There I also could find out the condition of our workers. Although not all our workers were “blessed” with cruel master but being blue collar worker there, especially for female is not so easy. I mean I have seen and heard the workers who came back not in complete piece. Some of them even have to lose their lives.

I have no comment concerning the tradition, men, and the life of their females. Well … just read the book then you’ll know.



Then I read Dong mu. I like the book. Finally I could find superheroes from Indonesia. I love by the way, Mang Jamal, the writer took me for a traveling through his book. And we were introduced with the nuclear issue. Jamal reminded me of Isabel Allende. She also loves to take her reader to travel through her stories. I got many knowledge from this book. Great! It’s going to be a project for my students.

40 Days in Europe, the story about Angklung performer group from Bandung, made me even more believe that dreams do come true if you seek for them seriously and earnestly. I mean they dared to set their feet in Europe only with believe that they could pull through till the end. Some of the hard moments they had were contributed by our own people, their brothers. From the cancel of the main sponsor a week before the departure till the irresponsible people who took their food. Inspiring just like books from Andrea Hirata.

Note: while people in Indonesia are busy with the stealing of our heritage, they had already amazed the people in Europe with their skill in playing Angklung. They didn’t just talk but they did act!



About The Kite Runner, well, this book made me shed the tears in public car. I couldn’t help it. I mean I am not talking about the pain of war, but the pain of family betrayal. The main character lived in full lies through out his life until some one revealed them to him which shocked him terribly. I was a bit confused though. I have read about Taliban from the English journalist. And when I read again about Taliban from this book, the fact is somewhat different. I couldn’t decide which one is right because I wasn’t there to witness.

Khalid Hoseini also wrote had other great book. The title is A Thousand Splendid Suns. The setting is still in Afganistan. I am curious to find out this latest book. Will he be like Isabel Allende in writing his story? Will I be able to find the pattern of his story? I couldn’t wait to read the book.


The last one Laut dan Kupu – kupu is a collection of South Korean short stories. It’s a literature. I could understand some of them and the others I have no idea. I mean my knowledge about literature is not that brilliant. I can’t guess the meaning behind all those symbols. I can only read “The what you see is what you get” type of novel.

So, if you plan to buy some books, maybe those titles can be put in your consideration. Have fun reading! ~^^/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

프라이팬 놀이/Frying Pan Game/BTS

Playing Frying Pan Game/BTS We played a new game called Frying pan game (프라이팬 놀이) with our Korean guests in our Korean Class. It was fun. It’s like catching the mouse game. We learn the Korean numbers in the same time.  Say, if your friend mentions your name and the number, you have to mention your name according to the number he/she mentions previously.  For example, if your friend says "Dana dul (2)", so you have to say your name twice, "Dana...Dana" and so on and so on. If you make a mistake, well, you get the punishment. The type of the punishment depends on the agreement of the players. They are many types, trust me. Just choose one.  This game was played on one of the TV programs in Korea hosted by Kang Ho Dong (강 호 동), Hye Ryong said. 재미 있네요. 우리 애들이 놀이를 좋아해요.  But hey! BTS too played this game on one of their TV shows.  You can check out the video  here  So far, we have learned many Korean games. Mostly we got from Korean T

Bungeoppang a.k.a Taiyaki

Bungeoppang a.k.a Taiyaki “ What did Archimedes say? “Eureka”. I would like to borrow his word for my little success although I didn’t invent anything. ”     Aku udah bingung banget cari resep Bungeoppang , kue isi pasta kacang merah berbentuk ikan. Coba beberapa resep tetep tak sukses. Lalu aku tengok resep sodara tuanya Bungeoppang , Taiyaki . Ceritanya dulu orang Jepang yang memperkenalkan Taiyaki ke Korea saat jaman pendudukan mereka dulu. Nah, kalo orang Korea bilang Bungeoppang itu sama a ja  dengan Taiyaki . Untuk sejarah   Taiyaki dan Bungeoppang bisa dicari di Wikipedia . Infonya lengkap.   Back to my story Nah, setelah tidak berhasil dengan resep sebelumnya (kegagalan dijamin ada dipihak pembuat kuenya bukan di pembuat resep ^^;) aku kemarin iseng dan penasaran cari resep Bungeoppang dalam bahasa Korea tapi ga dapet. Ada sih satu tapi ga detail dan aku ga ngerti. Trus aku cari resep sodara tuanya aja, Taiyaki. I am lucky. Aku dapet beberapa resep Taiyaki. S

Dora The Explorer Dan Oreo Termahal

Dora the Explorer Dan Oreo Termahal Badan pegal – pegal karena terpenjara selama lebih dari lima jam. Ditambah lagi harus berhimpitan di kerumunan manusia saat festival. Begitu masuk ke dalam  subway , yang pertama kali ingin kulakukan adalah tidur. Ah leganya ketika kulihat ada kursi kosong yang bisa kududuki. Enaknya bisa selonjoran untuk mehilangkan rasa pegal di kaki. Rupanya ketika aku tertidur, muridku iseng mengambil foto diriku yang sedang tertidur. Refleks aku terbangun. Begitu tersadar, tiba – tiba muncul seorang anak kecil bersama ibunya. Mereka berdiri tepat di hadapanku. Harusnya aku beri kursi itu pada mereka tapi ada sedikit kebingungan soal memberi tempat duduk di Korea atau di Jepang. Terkadang para orang tua menolak tawaran tersebut. Terlebih lagi jika kita menawarkan kursi itu pada orang yang masih muda. Salah satu alasan yang kutahu adalah mereka tak ingin terlihat seperti orang tua. Maka, tak heran jika beberapa orang tua pun terkadang menolak diberi kurs